seite Karlsruhe, February 15-19, 2016.
Home -- Registration -- Travel -- Program -- further information -- Contact
The conference will start Monday Feb. 15th at 9am and finish around lunchtime (probably 12:30) on Friday Feb 19th.
For those who will stay at hotel Leonardo: please note that the regular checkin time is after 3pm.
In case you arrive in Karlsruhe earlier you may drop of your bag at the hotel.
Here's a list of all participants as of February 2nd 2016.
We've created a waiting list and will inform you as soon as spots free up.
The conference site is located on KIT South Campus (KIT Campus Süd) in central Karlsruhe. All conference activities take place in the following two buildings:
'Math Building 20.30 (D/E 7 on the map): Registration and coffee breaks take place in room 0.014 (ground floor), parallel sessions 1.067 (1st floor); for tutorials and discussions you may use rooms 2.066 and 2.067 (2nd floor)
- Architecture Building 20.40 (E/F 7): mini courses take place in the Eiermann Auditorium (diagonally across the street from the Math Building, 1st floor)
Click here for a map of the campus.
Where and when to register
Upon arriving at the math department please register for the conference. We will hand out city maps, conference schedules and also your name badges, which will double as a free ticket to the local tram and bus system from February 15-19th. Please remember to bring 10€ cash in case you would like to participate in one of the excursions.
Registration takes place in room 0.014 on the ground floor of the math department (behind the little cafeteria) Monday and Tuesday starting 8:30 am and Monday during lunch time.
- eduroam is available on KIT campus
- alternatively we hand out logins to use with your own devices upon request during registration
As the math department is located right next to the city center there are plenty of lunch option.
You may eat on campus at the student's cafeteria, called MENSA. To take advantage of a big choice of menues you will need to buy a guest card at the information desk in the main entry hall. Alternatively you may pay cash at Line 6 "update", only.
If you'd rather eat someplace else feel free to find food somewhere in the city center. To get you started we've compiled a map with a few suggestions here. All the options on the map are at most 10 minutes away by foot.
On Wednesday afternoon, we provide three different guided tours to the
city and the region:
- a guided city tour (2 hours)
- a tour through the ZKM - Center for Art and Media - visiting the exhibition "GLOBALE: Exo-Evolution"
- a Black Forest hike (hiking boots are not necessary but weather-proof clothes
would be good).
For all three tours, there will be a fee (depending on
the number of participants but less than 10 Euros) which can not be
covered by the conference. If you want to participate in one of these
tours, it is 'necessary to write an e-mail to email@example.com',
indicating which tour you'd like to participate in, until January 26.
We will then collect 10 Euros at the registration and return the overpaid amount during the excursions.
If you do not want to join the excursion or if you spend more time in
Karlsruhe, here are three suggestions what to do:
- Visiting the zoo: Walking to the northern entrance of the zoo (at "Festplatz") from the math building takes 20 minutes, you can also take a tram to the main station. The main entrance of the zoo is in front of the main station, the opening hours are from 9am to 5pm.
- Relaxing at Europabad: The Europabad has swimming pools with slides and wellness areas. You can go there by tram 1 (direction "Oberreut", station "Europabad"; do not take the train S1), the opening hours are 10am to 11pm.
- Walking in the "Schlosspark": Behind the castle there is a nice public garden. In good weather, it is worth going for a stroll there.
Getting around in Karlsruhe
Your name tag will double as a free weekly pass for the local tram system. Free maps of the city and its tram network will be provided at the registration desk. The city center is not that big. So most of the time walking will also be fine.
Karlsruhe tourist information
Karlsruhe transport authority - the local tram system
leisure and recreation - Zoo, a thermal spa, ...