Advanced Mathematics I (Lecture) (Winter Semester 2014/15)
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich
- Classes: Lecture (0140000), Problem class (0150000)
- Weekly hours: 4+2
This lecture is mandatory for students enrolled in the International program in Mechanical Engineering at the Carl-Benz School of Engineering.
|Lecture:||Monday 14:00-15:30||ID SR Raum 203|
|Wednesday 14:00-15:30||ID SR Raum 203|
|Problem class:||Tuesday 14:00-15:30||ID SR Raum 202|
|Lecturer||Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich|
|Office hours: Wed. 13:45-14:45|
|Room 1.043 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Problem classes||Jonathan Rollin|
|Office hours: Friday, 15:30-16:30|
|Room 1.039 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
|Email: email@example.com||Problem classes||M.Sc. Oleksandr Bondarenko|
|Office hours: Dienstags von 15 bis 16 Uhr oder nach Absprache|
|Room 1.049 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
A problem sheet will be published each Thursday on this webpage. Moreover printouts are available in the students office on Friday.
Students should solve the problems independently, after that they could discuss the solutions in groups of two and could also submit one solution set per group. Only handwritten solutions will be accepted.
Please put your solutions in the box in the students office until Monday, 12:30 (11 days after the worksheet was published).
The solutions will be corrected and graded by the tutor (Dhruv Singhal). Your graded solutions are available during the tutorial.
For each problem sheet one can obtain 50 points (10 points per exercise). Please note the criteria for the testat in the section below!
There is a student tutorial given by Dhruv Singhal, Wednesdays 15:45 - 17:15 in SR 203.
In the tutorial you will practice solving the exercises and there is room for questions.
If you successfully work on the home work (problem sheets), a testat will be given to you at the end of the semester. This testat is necessary for you to be admitted to the exam.
Please note: The AM I exam is part of the Orientierungsprüfung, which you must complete by the end of the third semester.
For the testat, you have to satisfy the following criteria:
- Obtain at least 125 points on worksheets 1 to 10. This is 25% of all the total points obtainable (each worksheet is worth 50 points).
- For at least 8 of those worksheets have at least 5 points from each.
There is be a written exam on Saturday, February 21'st, 9 - 11 AM.
In order to take the exam it is necessary to obtain the testat (see above)!
For further information please visit the following website.
There will be lecture notes for this class, distributed by the ID.
Besides the lecture notes, we can recommend the following text books
- T. Arens, F. Hettlich, Ch. Karpfinger, U. Kockelkorn, K. Lichtenegger, H. Stachel: Mathematik. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg (in German).
- J. Stewart: Calculus, Early Transcendentals. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- K. Burg, H. Haf, F. Wille: Höhere Mathematik für Ingenieure. Volumes I-III. Teubner Verlag, Stuttgart (in German).
- E. Kreyszig: Advanced Engineering Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons.
- E.W. Swokowski, M. Olinick, D. Pence, J.A. Cole: Calculus. PWS Publishing Company. Boston.