Advanced Mathematics II (Summer Semester 2015)
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich
- Classes: Lecture (0120010), Problem class (0)
- Weekly hours: 4+2
This lecture is mandatory for students enrolled in the International program in Mechanical Engineering at the Carl-Benz School of Engineering.
The exam review will take place on Tuesday, 20.10.2015 1:15-3:00 p.m. in Benz Hörsaal
|Lecture:||Monday 9:45-11:15||ID SR Raum 203|
|Wednesday 8:00-9:30||ID SR Raum 203|
|Problem class:||Thursday 11:30-13:00||ID SR Raum 203|
|Lecturer||Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich|
|Office hours: Mon. 13:00-14:00 (available per e-mail or Skype)|
|Room 1.043 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Problem classes||M.Sc. Oleksandr Bondarenko|
|Office hours: Dienstags von 15 bis 16 Uhr oder nach Absprache|
|Room 1.049 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
|Email: email@example.com||Problem classes||M.Sc. Thomas Rösch|
|Office hours: Tuesday 14:00-15:00|
|Room 1.037 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
A problem sheet will be published each Wednesday on this webpage. Moreover the printouts will be distributed at the ID.
Problem Sheet No. 1 (linear independence, basis, subspace, lines, planes)
Problem Sheet No. 2 (basis, dimension, normal form, distance, scalar product)
Problem Sheet No. 3 (normal form, distance, linear transformations, matrix product, rotation matrix)
Problem Sheet No. 4 (rotation/reflection/projection matrix, linear systems, dimension formula)
Problem Sheet No. 5 (cross product, determinant)
Problem Sheet No. 6 (eigenvalues, eigenspaces, diagonalization, first order differential equations)
Problem Sheet No. 7 (differential equations: Bernoulli, homogeneuous linear second/higher order, initial value problems)
Problem Sheet No. 8 (differential equations: Euler, systems; fundamental solution, Wronskian)
Problem Sheet No. 9 (differential equations: particular solutions (method of undetermined coefficients, method of variation of parameters), power series method)
Problem Sheet No. 10 (power series method, Laplace transform)
Problem Sheet No. 11 (Laplace transform: differentiation in preimage and image space; applications to differential equations)
Problem Sheet No. 12 (Laplace transform: convolution theorem, Delta-distribution; partial derivatives, gradient, Jacobian, Hessian matrix)
Students should solve the problems independently, after that they could discuss the solutions in groups of two and could also submit one solution set per group. Only handwritten solutions will be accepted.
The solutions will be corrected and graded by the tutor (Dhruv Singhal). Your graded solutions are available during the tutorial.
For each problem sheet one can obtain 50 points (10 points per exercise). Please note the criteria for the testat in the section below!
- exercise class 09: Power series method (last example from exercise class)
There is a student tutorial given by Dhruv Singhal, Wednesdays 17:30- 19:00.
In the tutorial you will practice solving the exercises and there is room for questions.
If you successfully work on the home work (problem sheets), a testat will be given to you at the end of the semester. This testat is necessary for you to be admitted to the exam.
For the testat, you have to satisfy the following criteria:
- Obtain at least 125 points on worksheets 1 to 10. This is 25% of all the total points obtainable (each worksheet is worth 50 points).
- For at least 8 of those worksheets have at least 5 points from each.
There will be lecture notes for this class, distributed by the ID.
Besides the lecture notes, we can recommend the following text books
- T. Arens, F. Hettlich, Ch. Karpfinger, U. Kockelkorn, K. Lichtenegger, H. Stachel: Mathematik. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg (in German).
- J. Stewart: Calculus, Early Transcendentals. Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.
- K. Burg, H. Haf, F. Wille: Höhere Mathematik für Ingenieure. Volumes I-III. Teubner Verlag, Stuttgart (in German).
- E. Kreyszig: Advanced Engineering Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons.
- E.W. Swokowski, M. Olinick, D. Pence, J.A. Cole: Calculus. PWS Publishing Company. Boston.