Combinatorics (Summer Semester 2020)
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich
- Classes: Lecture (0150300), Problem class (0150310)
- Weekly hours: 4+2
|Lecture:||Tuesday 9:45-11:15||SR 1.067|
|Friday 11:30-13:00||SR 1.067|
|Problem class:||Monday 11:30-13:00||Engelbert-Arnold-Hörsaal (EAS)|
|Lecturer, Problem classes||Dr. Richard Snyder|
|Room 1.045 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
This lecture is an introduction into combinatorics, a field concerned with the existence, enumeration, analysis and optimization of discrete structures. The students are taught various combinatorial techniques, which can be applied all over mathematics.
The specific topics include:
- counting and bijections,
- generating functions,
- partial orders,
- combinatorial designs
Basic knowledge of linear algebra.
This lectures will be given in English.
Until further notice, the lectures and problem classes will be given as video recordings through ILIAS platform. The students should be able to register for the course in ILIAS starting April 10, 2020. There will be weekly homework assignments that students should be submitting electronically through ILIAS.
- Note: until further notice, all announcements for the course will be made on the ILIAS platform.
- The WS 20/21 retake exam will take place on February 24th from 9:00 to 11:30. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the exam problems will be posted on ILIAS. You will have 2 hours for the exam and 30 minutes for uploading materials.
- Make sure you are registered on the ILIAS page for this course for information regarding the exam.
Among others this lectures will be based on the following books:
- "Introductory Combinatorics" by Richard A. Brualdi
- "A Course in Combinatorics" by J.H. van Lint and R.M. Wilson.