Combinatorics (Summer Semester 2020)
- Lecturer: Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich
- Classes: Lecture (0150300), Problem class (0150310)
- Weekly hours: 4+2
|Lecture:||Tuesday 9:45-11:15||SR 1.067|
|Friday 11:30-13:00||SR 1.067|
|Problem class:||Monday 11:30-13:00||Engelbert-Arnold-Hörsaal (EAS)|
|Lecturer, Problem classes||Dr. Richard Snyder|
|Room 1.045 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
This lecture is an introduction into combinatorics, a field concerned with the existence, enumeration, analysis and optimization of discrete structures. The students are taught various combinatorial techniques, which can be applied all over mathematics.
The specific topics include:
- counting and bijections,
- generating functions,
- partial orders,
- combinatorial designs
Basic knowledge of linear algebra.
This lectures will be given in English.
Until further notice, the lectures and problem classes will be given as video recordings through ILIAS platform. The students should be able to register for the course in ILIAS starting April 10, 2020. There will be weekly homework assignments that students should be submitting electronically through ILIAS.
- Note: until further notice, all announcements for the course will be made on the ILIAS platform.
- The SS20 exam will take place on Monday 14.9.2020 from 13:00 to 17:00 (in Gerthsen-Hoersaal building 30.21).
Among others this lectures will be based on the following books:
- "Introductory Combinatorics" by Richard A. Brualdi
- "A Course in Combinatorics" by J.H. van Lint and R.M. Wilson.