Welcome to the Probabilistic Methods in Combinatorics seminar! Due to the Corona pandemic, our tentative plan is for each of you to prepare a Beamer presentation on your assigned topic and live stream your talk via Microsoft Teams. Since you won't have the ability to write anything on a blackboard, you will have to make your slides more detailed than what would be expected in a typical conference-style presentation. Also, instead of holding questions until the end of the talk, we encourage individuals to ask questions during the talk. We shall still hold a round of constructive criticism at the very end. We will provide more detailed logistical information in due time.
We will have an organizational meeting next Wednesday (22.04) at 9:45 to access how well MS teams works. Please:
- Register with MS teams (using your KIT email account).
- Create a sample (1 slide) Beamer presentation to experiment with during the meeting.
|Seminar:||Wednesday 9:45-11:15||SR -1.017 (UG)|
|Lecturer||Prof. Dr. Maria Axenovich|
|Office hours: Wed. 13:45-14:45|
|Room 1.043 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org||Lecturer||Dr. Richard Snyder|
|Room 1.045 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
- The main notes for the course may be found here.
- Some optional supplementary notes may be found here.
- And here you can find some optional material on random graphs.
- Here you can find a short tutorial on Beamer presentations, in case you are unfamiliar with them.
- 22.04 --- Logistical meeting via Microsoft Teams (no talk).
- 29.04 --- Introduction to Probabilistic Methods (chapters 2 and 3) --- Richard.
- 06.05 --- Alterations and Dependent random choice (chapters 4 and 5) --- Laurin.
- 13.05 --- The second moment method (chapter 6) --- Paul.
- 20.05 --- The hamiltonicity threshold (chapter 7) --- Miriam.
- 27.05 --- Strong concentration/Chernoff (chapter 8) --- Arsjola.
- 03.06 --- The Lovasz Local Lemma (chapter 9) --- Karolina.
- 10.06 --- Martingales and strong concentration (chapter 10) --- Marius.
- 17.06 --- Talagrand's inequality (chapter 11) --- Saima.
- 24.06 --- Entropy (chapter 12) --- Lea.