Combinatorics in the plane (Summer Semester 2013)
- Lecturer: Torsten Ueckerdt
- Classes: Lecture (0150300), Problem class (0150400)
- Weekly hours: 3+2
- Audience: Mathematics, Computer Science (from 5. semester)
This course is an introduction to a variety of standard and non-standard concepts in plane combinatorics. This contains but is not limited to planar point sets, intersection patterns, order relations, and geometric arrangments.
The concepts are presented problem-driven, i.e., are motivated by a typical problem in the field, such as coloring problems, extremal questions, structural questions, or representability problems.
|Lecture:||Monday 11:30-13:00||Raum Z 1 im Zähringerhaus (Geb. 01.85) Fritz-Erler-Straße 1-3||Begin: 15.4.2013|
|Problem class:||Tuesday 8:00-9:30||Raum Z 1 im Zähringerhaus (Geb. 01.85) Fritz-Erler-Straße 1-3||Begin: 16.4.2013|
|Lecturer, Problem classes||Torsten Ueckerdt|
|Room Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
Criteria for Lecture Certificates
Students get a certificate for successful participation if they
- solve all problems and
- present at least one problem in the problem class.
For a graded certificate in addition to the points above students have to
- pass an oral exam at the end of the semester, in which they among other things
- present one problem from the problem sheets of the lecturer's choice and
- are allowed to bring their written solutions to the exam.
On average there will be 3 hours of lectures and 1 hour of problem classes a week. Thus the course is worth 6 credit points. More precisely, the course is set up as follows.
- Lectures take place every Monday 11:30 - 13:00 and every other Tuesday 8:00 - 9:30, starting with lectures on Monday April 15 and Tuesday April 16.
- Problem classes take place every other Tuesday 8:00 - 9:30, starting with the first problem class on Tuesday April 23.
This course will be held in English. However all students are most welcome to attend!
The lectures cover diverse topics in discrete geometry with a focus on the 2-dimensional case. A rough schedule will be made available in the first few weeks. More detailed information on the content of past lectures is provided later.
Please find here the current version of the lecture notes. It covers the material presented in the lecture so far, as well as the exercises from the problem sheets.
- Lecture Notes (corrected version from 03/12/2015)
The lecture notes are subject to change. While the lecture goes on, the lecture notes will grow. In this process minor changes will be applied to content covered in previous versions, such as errors, inconsistencies and typos.
Every other week an exercise sheet is provided on this webpage. It contains problems related to the content of the lecture in this forthcoming two weeks. After two weeks problems will be discussed in the problem class. Students are supposed to solve the problems at home and present them at the problem classes.
The files are tagged with the date at which the problems are discussed in the problem session.