Wave Propagation in periodic structures (Summer Semester 2022)
- Lecturer: Dr. Ruming Zhang
- Classes: Lecture (0173800), Problem class (0173810)
- Weekly hours: 2+1
This lecture introduces theoretical analysis and numerical methods to simulate wave propagation in periodic structures. This is an interesting topic in both mathematics and other areas, such as nano-technology. In this lecture, we will study the well-posedness of this kind of problems and discuss the properties of the solutions. We will also introduce numerical methods to simulation the physical processes.
Preliminary course: functional analysis, partial differential equation, numerical analysis. However, we will review some important definitions and results at the beginning of this lecture.
For a better understanding of the wave propagations, I will share some MATLAB codes and figures corresponding to the contents. Students are also encouraged to write their own codes.
Please register this course on the platform ILIAS https://ilias.studium.kit.edu/ilias.php?ref_id=1813395&cmdClass=ilcoursemembershipgui&cmdNode=wx:lu:8o&baseClass=ilrepositorygui. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Lecture:||Friday 8:00-9:30||20.30 SR 2.58|
|Problem class:||Friday 15:45-17:15||20.30 SR 2.66|
|Lecturer, Problem classes||Dr. Ruming Zhang|
|Office hours: Monday 10:30 am - 11:30 am, by appointment|
|Room 2.022 Kollegiengebäude Mathematik (20.30)|
- Theoretical and numerical analysis of quasi-periodic scattering problems (integral equation method, variational method)
- Floquet-Bloch Transform
- Wave propagating in closed/open periodic waveguides (Floquet theory, eigenvalue problems)
- Numerical simulation of wave propagating in periodic waveguides (integral equation method, finite element method)
There will be an oral exam at the end of this semester.
Electronic lecture notes will be provided upon request.